CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

LOOOOOOOOONG OVERDUE NEWZ!!!!

Okay so I have been told - not that I didn't already know - that I need some new news posted on here (& this is so one of the reasons I did not want to start a blog - I knew I'd fall behind!!!), so here goes......

I have been trying to get a TA (teacher's assistant) job for several months now. Subbing makes more money per day, but a TA position is consistant pay and also my paycheck is broken down into 12 month increments, so I will get a paycheck even during the summer months. Right around Halloween, I was offered a position at my kids elementary school, which is absolutely perfect. I work 9 - 2 in a Pre-K class where we have 19 four year olds - all are at risk children - 6 are foreign & 4 of those speak no English (2 are Mexican and 2 are Japanese). Now, from here and there, I have picked up a few Spanish words, I can count to 20+, and can sing Feliz Navidad almost all the way correctly! However, I only know hello in Japanese, so not very helpful there. Needless to say, my days have gotten a wee bit crazier. Almost daily I get that feeling of, "What was I thinking?" You know how it is when you want something so badly and then when you finally get it, it wasn't exactly what you thought it'd be?!?! That's me! However, I asked God for a TA job and He gave this to me, so I am very thankful for His providing hand.

I got sick the Sunday before my very first day at work. Our church had it's version of a Halloween thing which was called Cove Country Fair (our church is Church of The Cove) and we were outside all evening in the somewhat brisk mountain air. They also had a Chili Cook-off for dinner, which did not sound very tasty to me that evening, so I didn't really eat any supper - we had also eaten a late lunch that day. Then we had a lady from FL, who recently started at our church and who is a Line Dancing Teacher, teach us steps to 4 songs and we had a "Line Dancing for Jesus" session - which was a blast and very hilarious! By the time we got home my throat was feeling scruffy and I was very tired. I decided I needed to get a good night's sleep. so I was gonna take some medicine to help my throat and some Tylenol PM to help me fall asleep quickly. I have no idea what hit me - if it was a stomach bug or it was the medicine on an empty stomach - I woke up at 2 am deathly ill. And I'll spare most of the details, but I was in horrible pain, curled in a ball on the kitchen floor next to the trashcan for the next 2 1/2 hours. I hadn't received or signed my hire papers for my job yet, so I wasn't "official" at that moment, so I knew I had to go to work the next morning as I couldn't call in a sub for me! As if that wasn't bad enough, when I woke up the next morning and for almost the whole week, I could hardly talk! So besides all the other "normal" stresses of the classroom, that didn't help at all. It made for a very interesting week!

So have you ever seen the poster or saying, All I Ever Needed to Know in Life I Learned in Kindergarten? Well, what follows is my version........

Things I Have Found in Pre-K

I have found I do not like being in the same classroom all the time.
" " " hand sanitizer does not eliminate all germs nor does it taste good.
" " " hand sanitizer gives you "old lady" hands.
" " " very creative hand motions for words like potty, sit still, & be nice.
" " " little shoes hurt bad when they're kicking the shins.
" " " that pre-schoolers will eat anything - even recycled tire mulch!
" " " when they say it's a bathroom emergency, they mean it.
" " " some people should not be allowed to be parents.
" " " no child should ever go hungry.
" " " safety pins should never take the place of a belt on a child.
" " " Thursdays are the new Mondays.
" " " it hard to keep a straight face when farts are called "stinky business".
" " " even the most unruly child can melt my heart with, "I love you."
" " " even with huge language barriers, you can be close friends.
" " " whatever the paycheck - it's not enough $$$.
" " " there's very little that is "not in my job description"!
" " " you never want to hear the words, "I got lots & lots bi-arrea!"
" " " some days, "Good-bye, Ms. Esther." are my favorite words!
" " " aliens sometimes land on our playground.
" " " it is a bad idea to wear skirts to work because, (see next line!)
" " " some pre-kers have no shame regarding their body parts or yours!
" " " "hor-nadoes" are very scary, but fun to draw.

I am sure there is so much more joy, pain, sadness and triumph that I am forgetting at the moment. But you can see why I have been AWOL for awhile. I have tried to keep updated on all of your happenings, but look fwd to chatting more frequently!

Take care, y'all & a quik reminder to be thankful for what you got & be faithful in what He asks - that is where God has my mind right now. I know from personal experience how very easy it is to get so caught up in what we don't have & it can even be "needs" and not just "wants" but, friends, we have soooooo much that He has blessed us with!

Love & Prayers, Essie

4 comments:

Liz said...

Yay!!!! I missed you!! Great return post. I enjoyed it immensely. Very funny and also much to consider. Welcome back Essie Rou!!

LaDonna said...

I'm so glad you updated!!!! I've been checking and checking faithfully. Wish you could come to the party, will miss ya. Loved your list of what you've learned! :)

Vonnie said...

So glad you're back. You do ound very busy!! Glad for your "insights", I can only imagine.... :)

Marty said...

So sorry that you were sick!!

Love the new things you are learning in your new job!!! It's amazing how much one can learn from a litte tike!

Love ya,
Marty